My latest flickr photos


Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Freedom

This evening by chance we switched on the tv and there was a documentary by dutch television about canadian students who were coming to the Netherlands to commemorate the liberation of the Netherlands by the canadian forces on May 5th, 1945, some 65 years ago.
It was an interesting program and I felt intrigued and I kept watching. I was surprised to learn about the canadian students' plan to visit Holland. They "adopt" an individual soldier who gave his life in the war to fight for freedom and liberty and against the very same people I am a descendant from. It deeply impressed me that those young Canadians were so dedicated to honor these men by visiting their graves in Holland. While watching the program I surely shed a tear 'cause it deeply touched me. I felt very emotional about Holland's national holiday today.

Yesterday, during my shift at the airport, at 20.00 hours there were two minutes of silence to remember those who gave their lives. I always find it extremely touching to experience how a normally busy airport completely falls in silence and no one moves or says something. It always gives me shivers and honestly I have to fight tears 'cause I find it very emotional when they end the two minutes with playing the dutch national anthem. I don't know why it strikes me so deeply, but I know it does.

How lucky I am and thankful I should be for living here and now. I should think about this more often and come to realize how little and insignificant my personal individual daily problems are. I should cherish the freedom I have, in every way.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We all should, but all we can do is simply live the best we can. Human being can't stand the idea of their mortality all the time. It's just the way it is. But I agree: these things should move all of us closer and make us realize how important and privileged we are for being here and now with the people we love...

pluralism said...

hello friend,
please visit my blog,
abou pluralism
appreciates always differences

Coinjock said...

The older I get, the more I understand the importance of the sacrifices others made so we could live in freedom. I question our commitment to defend freedom as we know it. How many people are willing to get up and fight for it, even if it means dying.

Freedom is not free.